Sunday, January 4, 2015

When I Grow Up...


When I grow up... I'd say at 5 plus 2
I had decided what I would do
I'd write a book that was a gem
In fact, I'd write not one but two
My favorite redheaded snippet
was Anne of green green gables
And then there was that Pip- it
seemed that I loved Dickens
How I cried for Tiny Tim
The words were ripe for pickin'
What a yarn that man can spin!
I'd delight at Little Women
I loved every Fairy Tale
The Musicians in old Bremen
Never, ever got too stale
And I was sure to outwrite Steinbeck
oh how I hated Lenny
I didn't think of future paychecks
I'd live from mouth to penny
But as I grew but older
I lost something deep inside
It grew not hot but colder
I didn't feed it and it died
You see, like Tink in Peter Pan
I need clapping to survive
I need confidence and Neverland
A place to find my stride
Can these fingers still go find it?
That story that's within
If I give it magic 
Will it live from mind to pen?
I know I'll never write a Harry
I'm not at all like blonde J.K.
But maybe a Diana Barry
will be my muse to pave my way
I see sleepless nights and old tea cups
I really am a fighter
Because I still believe when I grow up
I'll be a famous writer




 

No comments:

Post a Comment